Different Fuel Tanks

This board should be in english only and contains everything worth to discuss.
DCXT

Different Fuel Tanks

Beitragvon DCXT » Mo Sep 21, 2009 21:26

Besides the different decals & colour schemes, how many different tank designs (shapes) are there? I seem to notice that the Canadian/Australian '80 G, differed to all the preceding models?

UweD
XT-Forums-Guru
XT-Forums-Guru
Re: Different Fuel Tanks

Beitragvon UweD » Mo Sep 21, 2009 23:35

Hi DCXT
you hopefully may find an answer on www.xt500.ch
Best regards
Uwe

dave
Wenigposter
Wenigposter

Beitragvon dave » Di Sep 22, 2009 9:08

Thx Uwe.
Amazing site - still checking it out. I'm convinced the silver/black '80 G is where the design changed,but not many people agree with me.

DC

XTrisierer
Fleißiger Poster
Fleißiger Poster

Beitragvon XTrisierer » Mi Sep 23, 2009 14:39

I'm convinced the silver/black '80 G is where the design changed,but not many people agree with me
Hi DC, as far as I know this is right.

I hope I´ve understood your question correct. You are looking for the different tank models in terms of the forms which has been brought out by Yamaha, do you ?

For this case, I can tell that I´ve found two different models (Yamaha original) which has been supplied to the bikes wordwide, but different in delivering virgin (brand new) to the several international markets.

So, some XT´s and all TT 500 models have got the 76-79 aluminium tank model for the US market, so I would guess it has been the same to Canada. Even steel tanks XT´s were sold (yearly change on models) in the US, while, in Europe you´ve ONLY got the older tank model in STEEL, aluminium wasn´t designated, yet. Only on the TT 500, which was quite rare in Europe, again, has got the Alu tank.

Since 1980 all XT´s worldwide have been equipped with the NEW alu Tank model, which is different in it´s form, as the upper and the lower fork bridges were constructed in a straight form as well, so the tank had to get a new form at front (big notches left and right), as the new fork bridges would bang the tank during steering.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Wenn ich drei Wünsche frei hätte, dann würde ich mir drei Enduros wünschen !

dave
Wenigposter
Wenigposter

Beitragvon dave » Mi Sep 23, 2009 15:48

Many thanks Chris.
You're quite correct!
Herewith loosely translated info from another German website that I've since found.
"From the Year 1980, the front fork has been revised, as the axis has been brought forward. It shall be no more after that year of clamping shells, but sits in front battered stock eyes. Amended have the triple clamps, which are now straight and not V-shaped. This has now meant that the steel tanks mounted to 1979 do not match fit on the frame from 1980, or, conversely, the differently shaped aluminum tanks from 1980 with larger adjustments on models from 1979 and earlier."

DC

XTrisierer
Fleißiger Poster
Fleißiger Poster

Beitragvon XTrisierer » Mi Sep 23, 2009 19:25

You are welcome Dave,

that´s what I ment. That´s the main reason why you will get mostly damaged TT alu tanks in the US, if you are looking for the earlier (older) model. Two points I can still add:

- The later (newer) tank model will match on the earlier frame with some adjustments.
- Even the seat mounting is affected by changing the tank/frame configuration (Just for the case)

Let us know if you will need further assistance or informations on that or somethin else.

Cheers
Chris
Wenn ich drei Wünsche frei hätte, dann würde ich mir drei Enduros wünschen !

dave
Wenigposter
Wenigposter

Beitragvon dave » Mi Sep 23, 2009 21:11

Thanks Chris.

Zurück zu „International“